Ingredients: beans and water
Yield: about 3 cans worth of beans
- Pour 1 pound of beans onto a baking sheet to pull out any debris.
- Transfer to a colander to rinse
- Pour beans into the slow cooker and add 6 c. of water for each pound of beans.
- Cook on low for 8-10 hours (or high for 4-6 — which is more likely to cause beans to burst)
If beans never soften:
- They could be too old
- Try freezing the beans for a week prior to putting them in the slow cooker
- Try adding a tsp of baking soda in the water
- Never cook them with salt (or things containing salt, like bouillon). Add salt after cooking.
- Freeze the beans in some liquid to keep them from drying out.
- Use within ~3 months.
- Thaw by dump the frozen lump in a colander and rinse with cool water. They will defrost quickly.
- Or keep the liquid from the bag to keep a thicker consistency.
Note: do not use this method with beans in the Kidney Bean family (red, white and cannellini). Those need to be boiled in order to remove toxins which a slow cooker will not remove.